Health and Fitness

Never Give Your Dog These 7 Human Foods – Several Studies Proved

Food items that are good and healthy for humans can certainly be dangerous to pet dogs, especially if you have red Goldendoodle.

Simply because pet dogs have a different metabolic process than human, giving human food items to dogs can certainly be harmful to their health and could even be deadly in some cases.

This informative article reviews 7 foods that’ve been proven harmful to pet dogs – therefore if you have a pet dog, it is advisable to keep these food items out of their reach and stick with foods that are safe for consumption.

Caffeinated drinks are usually found in cocoa, tea, guarana (a South American plant) and coffee, it’s also usually added to carbonated drinks and medicines. Caffeinated drinks can certainly accelerate the heart rate and induce the central nervous system in dogs.

Within a couple of hours of consuming caffeinated drinks, dogs can experience trouble sleeping, excessive hunger, a lack of urinary control, nausea, and looseness of the bowels. If dogs consume too much coffee, they may experience irregular heartbeat or respiratory failure, which may eventually lead to death (NCBI Source 1).

The fact is, several instances of death have already been documented in dogs due to excessive caffeine. The minimum dosage of caffeine at which death was documented was 3.3 milligrams per pound (1 milligram per kg) of body weight.

The average cup of tea or coffee has between 45 and 175 milligrams caffeine, therefore even just a couple of sips could possibly be dangerous for your pet dog.

  1. Raisins and Grapes

 Raisins and grapes can be very poisonous to canines.

They may trigger rapid renal system failure, which may eventually be deadly (NCBI Source 2).

The harmful toxins in grapes are still unidentified, but even a small amount can certainly make the dog sick.

Poisonous levels vary from dog to dog. However, one research study examining 180 reports discovered that several dogs died after consuming just a couple of raisins (NCBI Source 3). For that reason, consumption of any amount ought to be taken seriously.

You will need to be aware that poisoning may materialize from consuming raw raisins and grapes, or from consuming them as ingredients in baked items such as snacks, cookies, and cake bars. Look for signs and symptoms like nausea, looseness of the bowels, exhaustion, and depressive disorders.

Most of these may be accompanied by signs and symptoms of renal system failure, such as excessive hunger and little urine generation.

  1. Sodium

Consuming salt can lead to an ailment known as water deprivation or salt poisoning in dogs. This can certainly trigger nausea, looseness of the bowels, depressive disorders, fever, tremors, and convulsions. It can even be deadly in serious cases (NCBI Source 4).

In accordance with the Merck Veterinary Manual, the poisonous dose for pet dogs is around 3.2 teaspoons of sodium per pound (5 grams per kilograms) of bodyweight. For this reason, it’s not recommended that you give the pet salted foods such as salty snacks, chips, or popcorn. It’s also imperative that you make sure the dog always has easy access to clean water.

  1. Xylitol

This is actually sugar alcohol, which is frequently used to sweeten sugary snacks, bubble gum, baked items, and toothpaste.

While considered safe for human intake, it may be dangerous for dogs. Consuming foods which contain xylitol can cause a significant and sudden drop in your dog’s blood glucose levels (NCBI: Source 5, Source 6, Source 7). 

Initial signs and symptoms usually appear within half an hour of intake and contain nausea, weakness, depressive disorders, difficulty walking, coma, and convulsions (NCBI Source 8). Sooner or later, xylitol can result in renal system damage and death (NCBI Source 9).

  1. Yeast and Alcohol Dough

Alcohol is usually included in several different products, such as perfume, alcoholic beverages, paint, mouthwash, varnish, and different cleaning items.

While infrequent consumption of alcohol is safe for people, dogs can’t withstand it, even in a small amount.

Signs and symptoms generally develop within 60 minutes right after intake and include exhaustion, major depression, lack of muscle synchronization, low body’s temperature, poor respiration, nausea, and looseness of the bowels.

If your dog uses too many alcoholic beverages, it can cause respiratory failure, convulsions, coma as well as death.

The harmful dosage of 100% (or 250 proof) alcoholic drink in dogs has lately been documented to be about 0.69 ounces per pound of body weight (9 milliliters per kilograms), with death occurring 14 to 26 hours right after consumption (NCBI Source 10).

Alcohol oxidation in pet dogs usually happens right after unintentional consumption of alcohol based drinks (NCBI: Source 11, Source 12, Source 13). On the other hand, in one case, a pet dog died of alcohol oxidation right after consuming a large number of decayed apples.

It is also a problem if your dog feeds on uncooked dough that has yeast. As the fungus cells ferment, they generate alcohol, which in turn causes a blood alcohol level to increase and may eventually trigger alcohol toxicity and death.

Moreover, the dough may expand in your dog’s belly and may trigger serious bloating. This puts stress on the adjoining internal organs and may make it quite challenging for your dog to breathe.

  1. Avocados

Avocados have a toxic known as persin. Persin is completely safe for people usage but can certainly be harmful to dogs (NCBI Source 14).

It’s present in avocado fruit, bark, pits, and leaves, which means you ought to steer clear of giving any part of this plant to your pet dog.

If your dog consumes these, water may develop in your dog’s lung area and upper body. This may make it hard for them to inhale and exhale, which may lead to oxygen deprival as well as death.

Water may also accumulate in the cardiovascular system, stomach, and pancreas, which can cause other deadly issues.

  1. Chocolate

Chocolate has the catalyst chemical substances, caffeine and theobromine, both of which are extremely hard for pet dogs to metabolize. If your dog eats dark chocolate, it may cause dehydration, vomiting, looseness of the bowels, and stomach pain.

Most of these signs and symptoms may also improve to more severe issues such as cardiac arrest, muscle tremors, internet bleeding, convulsions, and death. The less sweet and darker the chocolate, the more harmful it’ll be to your pet dog. Cocoa powder and unsweetened baker’s dark chocolate are one of the most harmful types.

In accordance with the Merck Veterinary Manual, pet dogs may show signs and symptoms right after consuming as little as 46 milligrams per pound (25 milligrams per kilograms) of body weight.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.