L‐Cysteine is an amino acid that works with vitamin C in preventing the skin’s production of melanin pigments. Since it has very high skin-whitening abilities, it is used in various anti-spot medicines and nutrition tablets.
L‐Cysteine’s Skin-Whitening Abilities
- L‐Cysteine prevents the production of melanin. Therefore, even if your skin receives damage from UV rays, you won’t need to worry much about spots and freckles. L-cysteine can also wash your existing melanin pigments away with your dead skin cells, thus lightening the spots and freckles that you already have.
- L‐Cysteine stimulates the production of glutathione. Glutathione is an antioxidant that exists in the body and is very useful in preventing the production of melanin. Therefore, not taking enough L-cysteine can result in various skin troubles.
- L‐Cysteine has an antioxidative effect. It stimulates the activity of glutathione peroxidase enzymes, which protect the skin from reactive oxygen species (ROS). It also represses the activity of tyrosinase enzymes, which come from ROS and are involved in the production of melanin.
- L‐Cysteine activates your skin’s turnover, which is directly related to wrinkles and skin darkening. It helps your body’s metabolism, making it easier to flush out melanin pigments.
- L-Cysteine is an amino acid that can be produced in your body using the essential amino acid, methionine. Therefore, taking enough protein will help your body create it. L-Cysteine can also be found in pork, rice, and fish.
- The amount of L-cysteine needed for it to help out with your skin troubles is about 200mg a day. Since it is very hard to get this amount from foods, we recommend taking L-cysteine tablets. Do not take more than is needed because too much L-cysteine can increase the ROS in your body.