New York City is a city with so much to offer visitors. Whether you’re looking to explore the city’s history and culture or you want to check out its fantastic restaurants and nightlife, there is something for everyone in New York City. If you’re visiting the place for the first time, here are four things you should do:
- Some Sight Seeing
One of the best and fulfilling ways to spend time in New York City is sightseeing. When it comes to site seeing in NYC, you don’t have to worry yourself as there are a lot of places to visit. Besides, there are tours organized often for this specific activity. A few places you should consider when in New York City for the first time include:
The Statue of Liberty- the statue of liberty is a big part of American history and was given France’s gift to the United States. It represents freedom for everyone who lives in America.
- Times Square: This is one of the most prominent places to visit when sightseeing in New York City. This place has been visited by locals and foreigners alike, making it an iconic landmark among Americans and people living abroad. In this famous square, you can see giant billboards and neon signs lining up buildings creating a unique scenery compared to other parts of Manhattan, where things seem more serene and less commercialized.
- Central Park: Central Park is located in the heart of Manhattan, and it’s one of the most popular tourist destinations. It’s also a great place to take a walk, enjoy nature and relax. There are many things to do in Central Park, such as going on a boat ride or taking a carriage ride.
- The Empire State Building: This building is an iconic skyscraper located in Midtown Manhattan that offers impressive views from its observation deck. If you’re looking for breathtaking views of New York City, this is the place to visit.
You can visit many other places when sightseeing in New York City, but these four should be on top of your list if it’s your first time visiting! Make sure to enjoy everything the city has to offer!
- Have a Taste of Chinatown
Your trip to NYC will not be complete without tasting Chinatown. This district offers diverse and delicious food that will surely satisfy your cravings. Be sure to try some of the following:
- Soup dumplings
- Peking duck
- Fried rice
- Egg rolls
Ensure to bring your appetite when visiting Chinatown because you will want to eat everything in sight!
- See Broadway Shows
If you are traveling with your partner, setting some time to enjoy Broadway shows will be a great idea. An excellent show to watch is Lion King, Phantom of the Opera, or Wicked are all super fun shows for couples!
Broadway theaters are in every corner of Manhattan, so finding one close by should not be hard. Make sure you make reservations, though, since most popular ones sell out pretty quickly!
Another option if Broadway isn’t your thing is to walk around Times Square at night and go to an IMAX movie theater. They have both new releases and older movies playing, which gives everyone something they’ll enjoy watching together. Just know that it can get quite expensive depending on what you want to see, but hey – it’s New York City after all-take advantage while you’re there.
- Take a Ferry Ride Around Manhattan or Brooklyn
If you want to see a different city perspective, take a ferry ride around Manhattan or Brooklyn. You can get the chance to spot amazing views of the skyline and the Statue of Liberty from the water. The ferries also offer a relaxing way to spend the day while still getting some sightseeing in.
The Staten Island Ferry is free, and it takes you from Manhattan to Staten Island, giving you sights of Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty on your way there. The ferry ride only takes 30 minutes or so in each direction, making it one of the best ways to see Lady Liberty for free!
Another good option for seeing both sides is taking the East River Ferry. There are usually many seats available even when it’s crowded out at dockside because most people like standing up outside with views all around them. This ferry also has excellent skyline views coming across and offers food and drink service.
As explained above, a visit to NYC is not complete without experiencing the city’s world-famous attractions. Having an idea of the things to do while there makes it easy to organize your trip and make the most of your time in this fantastic city.