3 Things to Do If Your Spouse Gets Arrested

Getting an unexpected call from someone who has just been arrested and is in jail can be a traumatizing experience, especially if the call is from your spouse. Depending on the criminal charges, an arrest is just the beginning of a tiring journey consisting of several court dates and other legal proceedings. 

If you’ve found out that your spouse has just been arrested and is being held in jail, you must immediately do these three things.


Keep the Call Short and Precise

When your spouse calls you while he/she is being held in jail, make sure to keep this conversation short and to the point. It is very easy to lose track of things and ask unnecessary questions that could get your spouse in trouble because all the calls incoming from jail are recorded and used as evidence against the accused in court. 

Ask your spouse where they are being held and keep all the questions to a face to face conversation.


Get Legal Help

If you want to ensure the timely release of your spouse without incurring penalties, then immediately get in touch with a Door County, WI criminal attorney. If you hire a lawyer immediately, your spouse will be able to recount all the details of the event while it is still fresh in his/her mind. 

If you take too much time, your spouse could forget to mention the important details that can damage the outcome of the case. 

You also need to make sure that you only hire a talented lawyer who can help reduce your risks greatly.


Work Towards the Release

When a person is held in jail, they will have to appear in front of the court so a judge can decide what to do with them. The judge will also set a bond amount that must be paid in order to have your spouse immediately released. If you have the money, pay this amount in cash or through a check to immediately have your spouse released and have the court proceedings while he/she is out of the jail. 

But keep in mind, depending on the criminal charges, the bond amount can be very high. Most people do not have the funds immediately available. If you are unable to pay the bond and still want your spouse to be released from jail before their next court appearance, then you can also get in touch with a bail bonds company. 

You will still have to pay a non-refundable fee to the company but they will arrange for the bond money on your behalf. Just make sure that your spouse does not miss any of his/her court appearances because if they do, the court has the right to keep all the bond money and you will have to pay the bond company in full.

To keep things as smooth as possible while your spouse goes through the many trials in court, make sure to partner yourself with a good criminal defense attorney. You’ll save time and money if you decide to go down that route.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.