Visit my other home! For the latest reviews, features, and more. Visit my new Health, Fitness, Beauty, and Lifestyle Blog: The Macho Mom
According to data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), more than 2 in 3 adults (70.2 percent) were considered to be overweight or have obesity.
Obesity is a condition, connected with the excessive amount of body fat. This is not only a cosmetic concern; obesity can cause different health risks (including type 2 diabetes, joint disease, stroke, dementia, pancreatitis, asthma, different infections), that is why maintaining a healthy weight is crucial for all people, who want to stay healthy and happy..
Read on and you will find an answer to the question: “How to prevent becoming overweight?”
How to Reduce Obesity
Obesity is one of the major diseases many people face. The only way to reduce obesity is to lead a healthy lifestyle, eat healthy, and exercise regularly. Here are handy tips you can follow to reduce obesity.
- Get rid of bad habits
There are bad habits that create negative patterns in the food system. If you get rid of them, it will help you normalize your weight. These habits are the following:
- Do not drink too much coffee. An increased dose of caffeine dehydrates the body and prevents the body from burning calories.
- Do not eat anything after a balanced dinner. The consumption of sweets, cookies, chocolate after supper leads to an increase in fat deposits in the body.
- Do not skip breakfast, as it triggers the metabolism in the right direction. Yogurt, fruits, cottage cheese, oatmeal are excellent options for a balanced breakfast.
- Change your daily water consumption. A sufficient water intake (about 8 glasses per day) helps remove toxins from the body and lose weight.
- Maintain healthy eating habits
Your weight shows how you eat and what you eat. To reduce obesity, follow these simple tips:
- Eat more vegetables and fruits because they contain efficient vitamins and nutrients that help maintain a healthy weight.
- Consume high fiber foods (peas, avocado, apples, bananas, raspberries, strawberries, carrots, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, oats, almonds) that promote weight loss, slow digestion, lower cholesterol levels, and glucose levels.
- Eat at least three times a day. Your breakfast should have the highest calorie load, whereas your dinner shouldn’t be too high in calories. Never skip the meal.
- Drink green tea because it has been proved to be a great means to reduce weight. Drink it at least two times a day.
- Foods shouldn’t be rich in sugar because it promotes the increase of a number of fat storages. Always read the labels and steer clear of foods, containing sugar, flour, and fat.
- Avoid deep-fried foods and soda.
- Exercise regularly
Healthy eating is only half the success. You should work out to improve your health and keep your body toned. Increase the number of cardio workouts (running (see here the right shoes https://thecrossfitshoes.com/best-walking-shoes-for-overweight-walkers/, cycling) they help burn calories, and include in your workout routine exercises, targeted at different body parts: arms (close-grip barbell bench press, triceps pushdown, barbell curl, standing biceps cable curl), legs (squats, deadlifts, leg press, lunges, Olympic lifts), abs (wheel rollout, barbell rollout, plank, lunges, crunches).
Besides, don’t forget that you should lose weight, not the muscles. The most important step to prevent muscle loss is to follow a regular strength training program by lifting weights or engaging in resistance exercises.
Another important point to remember is that training should be regular.
On top of that, if you get bored, you can mix it up. For instance, if you don’t want to go to the gym, switch to dancing. If you don’t want to run, then try aerobics. If you are tired of cycling, then hiking can be a way to go.
Ways Not to Be Overweight
Everything that happens in life affects your body and mind. To reduce the harmful effects, stay lean, healthy and happy, make sure you lead a balanced and healthy lifestyle. For this, ensure the following:
- Sleep well and reduce stress
It has been proved that poor sleep is a major risk for obesity and weight gain because it increases appetite, decreases decision-making abilities that results in a brain’s reaction to food, decreases the resting metabolism, increases the calorie intake, and causes cells to become insulin-resistant.
To avoid all these problems, sleep well. A good sleep for adults should last from seven to nine hours.
As for stress, it is absolutely normal that stress is a part of our life, however, when it lasts too long or it is too strong, it destructively affects the body. The elevated level of cortisol, the stress hormone, triggers fat deposition, especially in the abdominal area. To reduce stress, try different meditation techniques and yoga.
- Control your appetite
Usually, obese people suffer from excessive food cravings, and they consume more calories than they can burn. To avoid this, eat more often, but in smaller portions. Do not eat too much and do not choose junk food to feed your hunger.
- Set a positive mindset
Do not underestimate the power of motivation and a positive mindset. After each training session, tell yourself how great and energetic you feel. Believe in yourself, enjoy your diet and training. Try the visualization method – take your photos regularly and track your progress. If you believe in your success, then it is guaranteed!
What Can We Do to Overcome Obesity
Obesity is a health-hazard condition that can cause numerous health risks. Overcoming obesity isn’t easy because this process incorporates many steps. In addition to the mentioned tips, here are more tips and tricks you can follow.
- Stick to a balanced diet
In a balanced diet, fresh, healthy, and organic food should be your priority. There are different diets to lose weight. The most popular and relatively safe approaches are the following:
- The Mediterranean diet is the most extensively studied diet. It focuses on weight loss, heart and brain health. This diet involves the consumption of lots of fruits, plant foods, whole grains, olive oil, nuts, beans, cheese, yogurt. Besides, the moderate amount of fish, eggs, red meat, and wine is allowed.
- The Zone diet means that each meal should contain 40 percent of carbohydrates, 30 percent of fats, 30 percent of protein. The main aim is to control the insulin level so that the body uses stored fat as a source of energy.
- The Ornish Diet is based on low-fat, and it encompasses many fruits, vegetables, legumes, and non-fat dietary products. These foods give the body the necessary vitamins and minerals. This diet has a positive effect not only on body weight but also on the cardiovascular system.
- Take weight loss supplements
Weight loss supplements contribute to the metabolism increase and the appetite control. Here are the best weight loss supplements:
- Caffeine helps burn calories and it increases fat breakdown. A safe dose of this metabolism booster for adults is 400‒500 milligrams a day. It helps you lose weight or gain less weight over time. However, some people can experience side effects such as sleep distortion, anxiety, nausea.
- Hydroxycitric Acid or HCA is a salt derived from the rind of dried fruit (Garcinia Cambogia and brindal berry). HCA lowers the cholesterol level, increases metabolism, and reduces fat absorption.
- Green tea extract increases fat metabolism and curbs appetite. This supplement helps lose belly fat. If the person consumes green tea extract in high amounts, then the side effects such as dizziness, insomnia, nausea, diarrhea, and increased blood pressure can occur.
Thus, maintaining a healthy weight is a step towards a happy, healthy, and long life. To prevent becoming overweight, eat well, exercise regularly, take weight loss supplements, sleep well, and believe in yourself!